Welcome to the City of Kokomo Southeast Annexation webpage. The City of Kokomo's Southeast Annexation was official in October of 2013. Required by law, the City of Kokomo has one year to provide most services, and three years to provide all others. Located below is a timeline of when city services will begin.
Timeline of Services
The services below outlines City services that will begin in 2014, and provides an approximate schedule for implementation. Newly annexed property owners will not begin paying City property taxes until May 2015.
If you own a commercial property, please keep in mind that many of these services (such as trash pickup) will apply only to residential homes.
If any of these services are currently provided by other agencies, they will continue until the City takes over, ensuring no interruptions. If you own rental property in the Southeast Annexation Area it is your responsibility to make your tenant(s) aware of the implementation schedule.
February 3, 2014
- Building Inspection Services – All new homes, new electrical services and upgrades, building demolitions, sidewalks, and driveways will go through the City’s standard permitting process.
- Code Enforcement – City Code Enforcement personnel will begin enforcing the City nuisance ordinance, which addresses weeds in excess of 12 inches, tires, trash, debris, and other items. The city will also begin to enforce the rental property ordinance. All rental properties need to be registered with the city by July 1, 2014. The form is available at www.cityofkokomo.org. Please call (765) 456-7362.
- Existing Street Light Maintenance – If your neighborhood has a street light maintenance agreement with Duke Energy, the City will accept full responsibility for the cost. This agreement must be on unmetered services for street lights. If your neighborhood has such an agreement, please bring a copy of the latest bill to the Engineering Department on the second floor of City Hall, 100 South Union Street.
- Kokomo Beach Discount – City residents receive a discount to the Kokomo Beach Aquatic Center. This is an annual savings of $30 for adults and $25 for youths/seniors.
- Neighborhood Watch – If your neighborhood would like to create a neighborhood watch program, the Kokomo Police Department will be happy to assist. Please contact them at 456-7250 if you are interested.
- Discount Prices on Weather Radios – The City provides weather radios at a deep discount to residents. Radios will be available at theWelcomeCenteron the first floor of City Hall, at a cost of $9 (an 83% savings).
March 3, 2014
- Fire Protection – City fire protection will begin.
- Center Township properties currently receive Kokomo Fire Department service. This service will continue.
- Commercial, multi-family and institutional buildings will receive annual inspections for fire safety.
- The Insurance Service Office (ISO) rating agency is scheduled to reassess the City’s fire protection rates in April. The ISO rating for your property could improve once you are in Kokomo Fire Department protection area. This ISO rating improvement could provide you with savings on your property insurance premiums.
September 2, 2014
- Police Service – Police coverage will begin.
- Refuse Service – This includes weekly trash service, bi-weekly recycling service, as well as removal of large items, limbs, and leaves.Exact dates and days of trash service will vary by neighborhood, and we will provide further information to each neighborhood this summer. Also, we understand that most non-government trash services work on a quarterly billing cycle. As soon as our dates are confirmed, we will let residents know when your non-government service can be terminated.
- Public Transportation – The Spirit of Kokomo is a door-to-door transit system. It will be available to residents 60 and over, as well as those with temporary or permanent disabilities.
- Street Maintenance – The City provides a number of street maintenance services, including:
- repairing pot holes
- crack sealing
- street sweeping
- sign maintenance
- snow plowing and salting, as needed
- traffic signal maintenance
- Collect first taxes in the annexed area.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the City's annexation hotline at 765-456-7401 or email us at email@example.com. This webpage will be updated periodically as new information becomes available.