- Must be a resident citizen of The United States.
- Must be a resident of Howard County, Indiana or contiguous county at the time of appointment.
- Must be at least 21 years of age, but shall not have reached his or her age of 36 years as set forth by Indiana Code 36-8-4-7.
- Must have successfully completed a standard High School Course of study or completed an equivalent course of study, (GED)
- Must possess a valid driver's license from their state of residence, and must possess an Indiana driver's license at the time of appointment.
A dishonorable discharge from the Military SHALL disqualify the applicant.
Applicants receiving compensation or pension benefits from military service are not disqualified from applying.
- NO illegal delivery of drugs for monetary or material gain.
- NO illegal use of any type drugs for two years prior to the Kokomo Fire Department.
- Must pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must pass the written aptitude test and the extensive physical examination.
- Preliminary Application
- Physical Assessment/CPAT testing
- Written Aptitude Test
- Oral Interview
- Thorough Background Investigation
- Pre-employment Drug Screening
- Psychological Examination
- Physical Examination
- PERF (Public Employees Retirement Fund) Physical approval
- SPECIAL TRAINING RECOGNITION
Firefighters who perform the following services will be paid accordingly
Technical Rescue Team $900/yr
Instructor II/III w/ 24 hrs of dept instruction per year $300/yr
Associates Degree $250/yr
- CLOTHING ALLOWANCE
- LEAVE TIME
Paid Holidays--Firefighters will receive twelve paid Holidays per fiscal year.
Personal leave days--Firefighters will receive 58 hours of personal time per year.
Firefighters will receive vacation time based on the following schedule:
Length of Service
6 mo-1 yr - 1 working day
1-5 years - 6 working days
6-10 years - 9 working days
11-14 years - 12 working days
15 or more years - 15 working days
The City of Kokomo agrees to furnish a $30,000.00 life insurance policy with a $60,000.00 accidental death benefit for each employee. The City of Kokomo agrees to pay 92% in 2006 (90% in 2007, 88% in 2008) of the cost of hospital major medical, dental and preventive dental, and optical insurance with preferred provider packages with cost guard features for all Firefighters.
The City of Kokomo agrees to comply in all respects with the Indiana State statutes covering pension benefits for Firefighters.
Applications can be picked up at City Hall 100 S. Union on the 3rd floor in the Human Resources Department.