Kirkendall Nature Center

 

KirkendallJackson Morrow Park, located at 4200 S. Park Rd. at the northeast corner of Park and Center Roads, consists of 100 acres.  After years of proposals, this property was purchased from Mrs. Retha Kirkendall in September of 1991.  Upon the passing of Mrs. Kirkendall in October of 1991, a large donation that she had given to the IDNR was granted back to the City, along with a private donation from her husband, Delmas, for the construction of the Retha Kirkendall Interpretive Center.  Construction began in September of 1996 and was completed in the summer of 1997, followed by a dedication ceremony. The Kirkendall Interpretive Center has a large diorama of preserved animals including a beaver, a groundhog, an albino muskrat, a red-tailed hawk, fox squirrels, a red and a grey fox, a barn owl, bobcats, deer, a ruffed grouse, pheasants, a red bird, a raccoon, a great blue herron, a badger, a red bird, and a bull elk.  Several display cases hold fish mounts, butterflies, insects, fossils and educational displays.  Five large aquariums also enhance the building by housing native species of fish, frogs, lizards and snakes.  Outside the building, you can enjoy a nature walk and visit a natural environment while being in town.

Development of this park includes a 1.3 mile paved trail, playground, sheltered picnic areas, collegiate basketball court, sand volleyball courts and a sledding hill. 
 
 
Kirkendall Interpretive Center Hours
 
Winter Hours 9/1 through 4/30: 
 
Tuesdays & Thursdays 2p.m. - 5p.m. 
Saturdays 11a.m. - 4p.m.
Sundays 1p.m. - 4p.m.
 
 
Summer Hours 5/1 through 8/31: 
 
Tuesdays - Fridays 1p.m. - 5p.m.
 Saturdays 11a.m. - 4p.m.
Sundays 1p.m. - 4p.m.
 
 
For more information, please call the Nature Center at (765) 864-1655 or