Historical Sites and Landmarks
|Click on a link below to take you to information about that topic.
|Originally home to a community of Miami Indians, an Indian village was reportedly located near the intersection of West Harrison Street and South Main Street. A cenotaph honoring the village leader named Kokomo, from whom the city was named, was dedicated in 1911 at the 400 block of Purdum Street.
|Civil War Cannon|
|The "Kokomo Cannon" has recently been restored and is on display in Highland Park at the Visitor's Center.
|Darrough Chapel Veteran's Memorial|
|The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Park was dedicated in 2002 to commemorate the soldiers who fought for our country. Veteran's names are engraved into the bricks on the walk-way as well as the stone wall surrounding the statue of the kneeling soldier. The memorial is located in Darrough Chapel Park, 602 S. Goyer Road.|
|Old Ben may not be the best known character in Kokomo's history, but he is easily in the Top Ten. Everyone who has lived here for any length of time knows about him. During World War II, his fame spread to all parts of the world by word and picture.
|The Sycamore Stump is one of Howard County's few remaining landmarks of the past. The old tree originally stood in the west end of Howard County about two miles north of New London.
|Vermont Covered Bridge|
The bright red Vermont Covered Bridge in Highland Park is the final remaining Smith Type #3 Trusses in Indiana. The bridge is a transplant from the town of Vermont, which is about 5 miles east of Kokomo